MAM home buttonMAM FAQ buttonMAM contact button

Monday, September 22, 2014

Time for a change

Most people around me, including myself, seem to be entering a new season of change and transition... Marriages, school changes, babies, major life-changing decisions being made, internships, jobs, relationship changes, you name it, it’s happening all around us. 

In the midst of all the change in my own life, I have finally realized that you can't do everything on your own. You can certainly try, but you will not get nearly as far as you will if you have a support system, and rely on God for your strength and wisdom. 

This summer I thought I had my life all sewn up. I was in a serious relationship. I was moving to Georgia. I was going to school there at KSU. I had plans for the future. I thought I knew exactly where my life was going but everything was about to change. 

For a long time my faith had been wavering, it was shaky and it was on the back burner - I knew that had to change. I made a decision at the beginning of the summer to start praying about all of my big decisions before committing to anything. While some things went overlooked, others I prayed about extensively - my personal relationships, moving, schools, internships, money, and my future. As a Christian, I want to honor God in all areas of my life and so I began speaking with God several times a day everything that was going on (not just the pretty parts!) and life began to change dramatically. 



As my relationship with God grew stronger I found my other personal relationships began to weaken. I came to realize that there were things in my life that did not honor God and my relationship with Him. The decisions I had made - to move to Georgia, to attend KSU - were all for the wrong reasons and I had left God out of them. After spending the summer in prayer and petition with the Lord and drawing close to him, nothing was working out with the move, the school, or, worst of all for me, with my relationship. I felt like my world was crashing down around me. 

I felt God was calling me to new things and so as hard as it was I made the decision to end that relationship, to stick in Nashville and to change schools and that led to lots of new things. Those decision would never have happened if I didn’t have faith - I had to step out and trust God and he put all of these opportunities in my path. I trusted that when one door closes, God always opens another. And in my case, He opened several. I have started an internship with MAM and I have a new job with flexible hours enabling me to take all these opportunities. I am actually able to graduate with my associate’s degree in Social Work this semester (which I did not believe would be possible). But it doesn’t stop there, I have been introduced to the opportunity to begin my own business that has the potential to provide for me for a good time to come. It also comes with the added blessing of being inspired by so many women who work based on the Golden Rule and ‘God first, family second, and career third’. How awesome is that? I am so blessed. 

Although I know the Christian life isn't always as rosy as it is right now, I know the only reason things have worked out so well for me is because I took a leap of faith in the right direction and I am now allowing God to lead my life because I know I cannot do it on my own. I know I cannot make decisions and grow in wisdom without going to my Heavenly Father. At this point, I have no idea what next semester holds for me, and I am not worried about it one bit. I am going to take everything one step at a time, and pray about every decision and make sure everything I do has a purpose.






Bri has been a long standing volunteer and is currently interning with MAM. She is great with kids and always has a smile for you. She likes to go adventuring, smell scented candles and jam out to loud music.

No comments:

Post a Comment